Thursday, November 19, 2009

Are There No True Believers?

John 14: 12-14
14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14:14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
Matthew 18:19-20
19"Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. 
20For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."


So, if you believe in Jesus, he will do anything that you ask? Anything? What if what you ask is immoral? There doesn’t seem to be any qualifier here, but let’s assume that he means morally acceptable requests. It seems reasonable that people would understand that he means that.

Billions of people claim to believe in Jesus and from some that I know or have met, I would say that at least some of them are being totally honest. Of these billions, if only one percent honestly believed in Jesus that would still be tens of millions of true believers.

So have none of these true believers ever asked for an end to hunger, poverty, war, disease, prejudice? Have none asked for world peace? Have none asked for Jesus to provide more evidence for non-believers so that all could come to Jesus? It doesn’t appear that any have. I can only think of a few explanations for this:

(1) No one has ever asked.
(2) No two true believers have ever been together and asked at the same time.
(3) Jesus lied.
(4) The whole story is fiction.

Possibility #2 seems unreasonable given the sheer number of believers. Option #1 would indicate that every single person who has every prayed has prayed selfishly. They have only prayed for themselves or close friends and relatives. But still, even if everyone only prayed for themselves or friends and family, the number of people involved would have covered nearly everyone on Earth. And yet we still have hunger, poverty, etc.

Given the outcome of prayer for Madeline Neumann, Kent Schaible, Ava Worthington, and Neil Beagley - all were children who died because the parents prayed instead of seeking treatment that would have easily cured their child - Jesus clearly didn't live up to his promise. So the most likely options are #3 and #4.

No comments: